Originally from Eastern South Dakota, Brandon Franks was a sophomore in high school, a well-respected athlete (mostly), and a good student - he was a math prodigy, working on graduate-level college math classes. He was one quarter Lakota from his maternal grandmother, and was five-nine and one-hundred-sixty-five pounds of good-looking, solidly-muscled all-American boy. Brandon's family is doing well financially through a very large farm (worth between thirty and thirty-five million), a trucking business associated with the farm, ranching, and owning a farm implement dealership in town, but as is typical with farms and ranches, most of their assets are not readily liquid. Brandon has a brother, Danny, who is in 8th grade, and somewhat of a brat at times.
Brandon's hometown has severe mutant-phobia due to a rager incident in a nearby town. Although Humanity First! doesn't have a formal chapter, many townsfolk are members of H1.
Brandon manifested one morning at school without warning, never having suspected that he was a mutant. When other students saw his eye color change, they nearly beat him to death, leaving him for dead in the snow by the school's dumpsters. Only his new healing powers, heightened by a mild burnout, enabled him to survive. The burnout, though, hastened his mutation, causing him to completely change within a few days instead of several months.
Kayda was supposed to have entered Whateley as a mid-year sophomore transfer, the same grade she had in her old school, but due to a foul-up in her class schedules, she was missing an English II credit to be able to advance to Junior; accordingly, at the 2007 Commencement ceremony, she was seated with the Freshmen and "advanced" to Sophomore—with membership in the Honor Roll, Dean’s List, Chief of The Nations, Member of the Alpha Leadership Council, and a SDSM&T March Award for Graduate-level Mathematics. The Whateley preference for the students having the full four-year experience no doubt played a part in her placement.
- Buffalo Gal Won't You Come Out Tonight
- Trials of a Warrior
- Pomp and Conspiracy
- All Hallows Ball
- Would the Last One Out Please Turn Out the Lights
|Mutant Identification Card|
|Ratings||Wiz: 2, Exemplar-2, Avatar-5, Gadgeteer-5, Native American weapons - basic|
|Techniques||ghost walking, shield spell, bow, tomahawk, manifested bison|
|Weak vs||normal human weaknesses|
|Backup / Team Affiliation||The Nations, Ghost Walkers|
Kayda is "...five-foot seven, one hundred thirty pounds, and probably the most exotically gorgeous girl I'd ever seen, apart from the woman in my dreams. Strangely, I didn't look like the kind of beauties I used to see at school, like Julie, with their European features and my own European sensibilities about what made a woman beautiful. Instead, I was gorgeous in an exotic way because I was distinctly Lakota, and looked foreign and exotic, but still, with my eyes, approachable and compelling." Besides appearing full-blooded Lakota, she has distinctive Kelly-green eyes that have a very soft, faint glow in the dark.
Kayda is an avatar who unusually hosts two spirits: Ptesanwi, a channeler and prophetess for Wakan Tanka (the Lakota Great Sprit); plus Tatanka (the Lakota White Buffalo Spirit). Additionally, she can manifest a physical representation of Tatanka at various sizes, ranging from puppy sized through St. Bernard sized (typically for 'meet-n-greet' purposes) up to full sized (typically for defensive purposes).
Kayda is also a gadgeteer, although her mechanical knack emerged from an early age, well before manifestation. Her manifestation appears to have enhanced her gadgeteer abilities.
Kayda has some magical ability, although it's unknown exactly what or how powerful. Some of the healing magic is associated with her Ptesanwi spirit.
Official testing from Whateley Powers testing list Kayda as: Wizard - 2, Gadgeteer-5, Exemplar-2, Avatar-5.
Placed Out Edit
Kayda has high school and college transcripts that show she's completed the following Whateley math classes (and that's not counting the college-level math she's completed):
- Calculus I
- Calculus II
- Probability Theory I
- Probability Theory II
- English II (after managing to get this accepted, Kayda was officially made part of the Class of 2009 instead of Class of 2010)
Spring 2007 Edit
After arriving at Whateley, late for the Spring Term of 2007, she was initially assigned by Mrs. Hawkins to the following classes (despite her protests):
- Algebra I - First period - replaced with Avatars I
- Basic Martial Arts - Second period
- Intro to Magical Arts - Third period
- English I - Fourth period - replaced with Aikido II special training
- Powers Theory - Fifth period - replaced with French
- Powers Lab - Sixth period
- Electronics I - Independent study (after normal classes)
- French - Evening class - moved to Fifth Period
- Costume Shop I - Saturday mornings
- Native American Fighting Styles - Special tutoring, whenever it fits in
- Pete Franks Father
- June Franks Mother
- Danny Franks Younger Brother
- Little Doe Grandmother
- Brenda Kimimila Franks - baby sister
- Cornflower Girlfriend
- Julie Robinson Former girlfriend
- Punch Roommate, Poe Room 205 Poe
- Loophole Soul Sister 
- Freeze Frame
- Delwin ?? (In Electronics I, not Negator)
- The Nations - Native American Student Group
After graduating, she takes her parents to a vacation on the Hilton Orbital Casino and Hotel. While there, a villain attempts to take the installation over, and is foiled. She decides to quit heroing and take up her role as First Shaman.
She takes up her role in the First Nations, to try to bring the tribes together. During a mass meeting, an old Lakota demon attacks. It's foiled, but at a huge cost.
In her role in the First Nations, she has an entourage of four young women:
- Emily Walks-far - one of the Ptesanwi's personal assistants
- Anne Roaring-fire - another one
- Suzie White-Peak
- Christy Black-Rabbit
They are sworn to her, and they are her friends.
She has another friend who isn't quite a member of the inner circle, but is very close.
She plays a significant part in the Lanie-Tansy switcheroo.
- ↑ Now the Real Learning Can Begin: Chapter 3 - Osiceca Magazu (Rain Storm)
- ↑ Buffalo Gal Won't You Come Out Tonight: Chapter 1
- ↑ Pomp and Conspiracy
- ↑ Information entered by the author, ElrodW
- ↑ Buffalo Gal Won't You Come Out Tonight: Chapter 7
- ↑ The Riddle of Sappho Canto II
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Trials of a Warrior
- ↑ Tears and Fears
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Would the Last One Out Please Turn Out the Lights
- ↑ I Don't Think We're in Kansas Anymore
- ↑ The Sorrows of Red October