Melissa Thurber-Goodkind, code name Puppet, has a really major case of GSD, where her blood has turned toxic. Since summer 2005 she's permanently hooked up to a life support unit that filters her blood and substitutes for her heart and other organs, which have quit working. Anyone going into her room in Hawthorne Cottage has to wear MOPP level 4 gear. She started at Whateley the summer of 2005, if she started as a freshman she's in the Class of 2009.
She obviously can't leave her room; she takes classes via a remote television system.
She doesn't get many visitors. Claire used to visit, but then she knocked out most of Puppet's control system and she nearly died, so they don't let her visit anymore. Phase suggests using the video conferencing setups for classes to allow Claire to visit, since they both use them.
The Hawthorne cottage redesign gives her a much upgraded room as of the beginning of the 2007-2008 academic year. 
- European History self study
- Hawthorne Cottage
- Claire (friend)
- Lissa Thurber-Goodkind - mother, talks to her several times a week on the phone
- ? Goodkind - Father (no longer talks to Melissa)
- Ivan Thurber-Goodkind - older brother (doesn't talk to Melissa)
- At least one other brother (doesn't talk to Melissa either)
- Ayla Goodkind (cousin)
- Grace Goodkind (cousin)
- Straight from the Squirrel's Mouth: Chapter 7
- WoG on Forum
- Ayla and the Tests: Chapter 3 - The Ceryneian Hind
- Parents' Day
- Ayla and the Birthday Brawl: Chapter 5 - The Legend of Artegal, or of Justice
- To the New Year!
- Raptor: An Eye on Campus
- Ayla and the Birthday Brawl: Chapter 9 - The Legend of Arthur, or of Magnificence